Monday, October 20, 2008

Twenty Questions

Who thought of this game anyway?

Maybe I have one answer for now, maybe 17 answers.

Forgetting what I wanted (want), why I said yes, for how long it will be, what the sun looks like, etc. Not understanding how I am supposed to teach with ten thousand meetings to attend, and countless tests to give to the children, even before they've been taught the concepts...

I wait every morning for them to walk into that classroom. Wondering did they have enough to eat last night? Have they gotten to take a bath, did they get to sleep in a bed, was anyone home when they got there or when they went to bed? Who got to hear "I love you?" Many other questions I don't dare try to write or answer.

And you know what plays in my head? One of my dearest friends knows exactly what it is and I don't even have to tell her. She knows because it's in her heart and head too.

My passion for what I really want to do has not changed. I don't know why I answered the phone that summer day, or agreed to an interview, or said yes at the offering and gave up the rest of my summer and apparently year to pursue this. I don't even know if I'm doing it right. But Monday through Friday at 7:30 a.m. none of that matters, just seeing 17 children coming into Room 17 is all that matters. And until they are accounted for, nothing else matters. The rest of the day, that's another story!

For now, for at least the next few months, beyond that, I don't really know, but for now...

You're the God of this City, You're the King of this People, You're the Lord of this Nation You Are There is No One Like You God...

2 comments:

ensims said...

Greater things...

they really are yet to come and still to be done :)

jana said...

some days I believe that